Tuesday, August 28, 2007

9 Marks on Race

I just received my bi-monthly eJournal from 9 Marks Ministries. If you are not familiar with 9 Marks I encourage you to visit their web site and slowly absorb the many facets of their ministry. They have their finger on the pulse of church life in the U. S. and beyond. Visit their web site to subscribe to the eJournal.

Which brings me to this little foray into their present eJournal. It deals with the topic of race. I believe that this has the potential to be one of the most significant contributions by 9 Marks to date. I realize that this is a rather significant statement given the many contributions they have made, most notably in the area of church discipline. However, pastoring a church in the Deep South U. S. brings with it a number of divergent responses to race in the church, i. e., the body of Christ. I do not believe the outward, blatant racism of years past still prevails, though there are areas where even this still exists. No, a more incipient racism has crept in, a sort of silent racism that quietly lays under the surface in a "don't ask, don't tell" veneer. Even in those churches that are committed to multi-racial congregations (as ours is) there might still be those who claim multi-racial principles at church but who hesitate to allow those principles to permeate their worldview outside the church, at work, at school, at recreation, in realtionships, etc.

I suggest that this issue of 9 Marks eJournal might rock some people's world. Read it - honestly. John Piper's article is especially forthright and challenging to my work as a pastor and my life as a father. Others will grip you as well, including the book reviews. Use this as a good opportunity to introduce yourself to 9 Marks.

No comments: