Monday, March 05, 2007

His Great Mercy

Today I experienced one of those times as a parent when you feel absolutely helpless as my oldest child took her road test to receive her driver's license. As a parent I was unable to remain in the car during the test. It was just my daughter and the Alabama Highway Patrol. As I watched them pull off, I could not help but think: a) how nervous my daughter must have been, b) how nervous I was, and c) that my daughter was completely at someone else's mercy. I had absolutely no control over the situation. I know that my daughter can drive. Not only that, I know that she is a good driver. I have spent countless hours in the car with her behind the wheel. In the back of my mind I felt that I should have been able to tell the patrolwoman that I could save her some time. Just fill out the paperwork and pass her.

As these thoughts were going through my mind, I was stricken with my overwhelming feeling of helplessness. But at the same time I was thankful for people that are genuinely concerned for the welfare of all people, not just my daughter. I was driven to trust the decision of the patrolwoman who would judge, much better than I, whether or not my daughter really is a good driver, fit to be behind the wheel by herself.

As I contemplated my emotions, I was reminded how difficult it is to trust another when you are in a state of helplessness. I wanted to be in control of the situation, not at another's mercy. Then my thoughts turned to the Father. I was reminded that by nature it is easy to walk with the Lord and trust Him when everything seemingly is in our control. But our faith shines more brightly when we are in situations that we have no control over in our lives and we trust the One who knows our circumstances better than we know them ourselves. That is what it means to "walk by faith, not by sight."

I am thankful for that patrolwoman, but I am much more thankful for a Father who longs for us to cast all of our burdens upon Him. He is a merciful Father who can be trusted with all things at all times. I needed that little lesson from the Lord today. And yes, my daughter did pass her road test and received her license. Now I and all other drivers in the state of Alabama need your prayers! And by the way, I get to do this all again in a month with my next daughter.

No comments: