Monday, February 26, 2007

Academy Gone Green

I promised myself that I would not chime in on the whole global warming thing. I am as sick of hearing about it as I am hearing about Anna Nicole Smith and Britney Spears. However, they did not win Oscar's last night, and global warming (Al Gore) did.

I would like to point out a few things concerning the Academy's agenda (which, by the way, is not even subversive - they admit they are going green, at least according to Leonardo DiCaprio):

1) "An Inconvenient Truth." Ever heard of it? I knew a documentary was made chronicling the efforts of Al Gore to warn the world of global warming. The Associated Press called it a "nonfiction hit." They must be right - it won the Oscar for Documentary Feature. Interesting. This category used to be on the scroll-through going to a commercial break.

2) An Inconvenient Truth? I am not sure that climatologists are even ready to call global warming truth. I guess "An Inconvenient Theory" would not have gone so well.

3) There was more than enough praise for Al Gore's lifelong study of climate change. Boy, he has really been busy over the past few years - Vice-President of the United States of America, running for president, filming a documentary, inventing the Internet. Just when has he had time to research?

4) Now it gets really good. Al Gore's comments in receiving the Oscar: "People all over the world, we need to solve the climate crisis. It's not a political issue, it's a moral issue." Let me make sure that I've interpreted their position correctly: Homosexuality and homosexual "unions" are not moral issues. Abortion is not a moral issue. These are rights that have been politicized. Global warming or climate change is a moral issue.

OK. What about my right to drive my SUV wherever I want whenever I want? I know, lives are at stake. That is not the case with HIV contracted from homosexual relationships and abortions.

Please don't misunderstand me. We do have a Scriptural mandate to safeguard God's creation (Genesis 2). However, to infer that it is immoral (i.e., "sin) not to believe as these folks do is simply preposterous. I do not believe global warming is truth. I think it is a waste of time to even theorize about it. There, I said it.

5) It gets better. Not only did "An Inconvenient Truth" get the Oscar for Documentary Feature but it also took the Oscar for Original Song. Are you kidding me? When was the last time a documentary won this Oscar? Or was even nominated in this category? (Never and never - I did a little research). The song, "I Need to Wake Up," was nominated along with three (3) songs from the movie "Dreamgirls" (at least I've heard of that movie). You would think that with three nominations in the category at least one of them would be a cinch to win the Oscar. What an upset!

6) Or was it? The song was written and performed by Melissa Etheridge who promptly thanked her wife when she received the Oscar. You read that right - she thanked her wife. This should not surprise us from the Academy. Remember "Brokeback Mountain" last year?

7) There is good news concerning this. Jerry Seinfeld introduced the category and nominees for Documentary Feature and called them "boring." BINGO!

I have a suggestion. Stop going to the movie theatres. I am not suggesting a boycott. That would do no good anyway. The Academy is not paying attention to attendance figures in selecting nominees. If they were they would nominate films we have actually heard of. Perhaps if we stop attending they will at least ask themselves why the industry is suffering. Not to mention you spare yourself getting gouged at the concession stand.

No comments: